Wednesday 30 May 2012

Break - Spring Biscotti

Or as Adora describes it in her blog: "pistachio cranberry biscotti infused with orange zest and white chocolate"
Haha. But yes, that is exactly what it is. Though I was disappointed that the white chocolate was hardly noticeable.  Though it probably added to the flavour nonetheless.

Break? Yup! I'm off to Britain for a 2 week family holiday starting Saturday. Exciting much. Have worked hard for this holiday for 2 years and am not gonna let anything keep me from going!

I've got another recipe up my sleeve to share while I'm there but probably won't be baking (though it'd be great fun to bake in Granny's kitchen!).

Biscotti (bis cotus, meaning twice cooked):
"A crisp Italian cookie traditionally flavored with anise and often containing almonds or filberts."
                       As defined by thefreedictionary.com.

I always imagined & had seen biscotti as not being the prettiest baked good I've seen. Which is still true though I've come to appreciate raw-er looks. Un-iced cakes, hand-rolled/flattened cookies, chipped pastry.. it's that homemade feel. And the flavour, my oh my. The combination of flavours and textures. In this biscotti, rightly called spring, cranberries, pistachios, white chocolate & orange zest. At first look I'd say there're too many flavours but they compliment each other so well that I stand corrected!

So here, I present to you Spring Biscotti adapted from Allrecipes.com:

INGREDIENTS

  • 1/4 cup margarine
  • 1/2 cup granulated sugar
  • Zest of 1 orange
  • 1/2 tsp vanilla extrtact
  • 2 eggs + 1 egg white
  • 2 cups plain flour
  • 1 1/2 tsp double acting baking powder
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 1 bar of plain Milkway white chocolate, chopped
  • 1/2 cup dried cranberries
  • 1 1/4 cup shelled whole pistachios
METHOD
  1. Beat margarine, sugar & orange zest
  2. Add the eggs and egg white and mix well
  3. Sift the flour, baking powder and salt into the mixture and mix until all incorporated
  4. Add in the remaining ingredients and mix until evenly distributed throughout dough
  5. If dough is too sticky to handle, chill in fridge for a while until firmer
  6. On a lightly floured surface, split the dough into two portions and roll into logs about 12x3"
  7. Place logs onto a lined baking tray with at least 3" in between each log
  8. Bake in a 165 degree C oven for about 30 mins or until golden brown
  9. Remove from oven and once logs are cool enough to handle, cut into 1" thick slices
  10. Arrange on the baking sheet again and bake for another 15mins
  11. Remove from oven and leave to cool completely
  12. Store in an airtight container





Oops! Last picture is a tad blur. Sorry. :/

Love,
Amy.

No comments: