I originally bought the white cornmeal for corndog muffins I made quite a while back. Surprisingly, the cornmeal has lasted for super long (and I mean years) in an airtight zip lock bag.
The great thing about cornmeal is the texture. It's like the polenta in the Lemon Cake. That extra something. (: Unlike other breads, this bread doesn't take time to rise and stuff so you don't have to set aside a day to make this! Brilliant. (:
The cheese was an extra thrown in cos ... well, I just felt like it? Wasn't much cheese, but it was a surprise when you did bite into it.
I used Albers White Corn Meal. I guess you could use yellow corn meal.
makes about a 10x6x4" loaf)
- 1 cup corn meal
- 1 cup plain flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tbsp double acting baking powder
- 1 cup milk
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- In a large bowl, mix the corn meal, flour, sugar, and baking powder well
- In a separate bowl, mix the remaining ingredients
- Create a crater in the flour mixture and pour the milk mixture into the hole
- Stir until just blended
- Add any additional dry ingredients you want such as cheese, chilli powder, berries etc.
- Pour the batter into a greased loaf pan and bake in a 180 degree C oven for about 25 minutes to until a skewer inserted comes out clean
You can either serve this warm straight out of the oven with butter, or you can toast it before serving if you've kept it for longer. Store in a dry, cool area.