Today is my friend, Sarah's birthday. (: So yesterday, together with Blythe (another awesome friend!), we surprised her in the ward with a Raspberry Cupcake Tower.
The girls loved the cakes as did a few other people at home. ;) I adapted a recipe from Sweetapolita. Personally I'd replace most of the sugar with more flavoured jello crystals next time and possibly put in more jam. Adapt it to your own taste buds but this recipe is a must try for those who love fruity cupcakes!
If you do decide to decorate them with fresh raspberries (or any other fresh berries for that matter) do remember to place them wet-side-down on paper towels for about 20-30 minutes before placing them on your icing. It'll keep them from staining your icing.
1 3/4 cups white sugar
1oz package of raspberry gelatin
1 cup butter, softened
4 eggs, room temperature
2 3/4 cups self-raising flour
2 teaspoons double-acting baking powder
1 cup whole milk, room temperature
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
3 tablespoons quality raspberry jamMethod:
1. Line 30 cupcake tins with paper liners.
2. In a large bowl, cream together the butter, sugar, and dry raspberry gelatin until light and fluffy. Beat in the eggs one at a time, mixing well after each. Mix vanilla and milk together. Combine and whisk dry ingredients, adding to creamed mixture and alternating with milk/vanilla until just combined. Blend in raspberry jam. Pour into tins.
3. Bake in 180C for about 20 minutes, or until inserted toothpick comes out clean. Remove from pans and allow to cool on wire rack for about 20 minutes.
4. Ice with your favourite store-bought or homemade icing.
5. Decorate to your heart's desire! :D