So here's another recipe from the Bake Sale book...
I wanted to make something "healthier" for mummy's lady friends since they're at the age of minding their figures. Cookies, cakes & puddings were out of the question so I settled for a fruity bar actually meant for breakfast.
I felt that this recipe was great! Though there was too much fruit and the bars didn't have enough oaty bits to hold it all together. Adapt it as you like but do try this recipe!
I will try this recipe again with something more mild like pears and raisins. Can't wait!
INGREDIENTS (makes approx. 18 bars)
- 1 1/2 tbsp butter
- 1 green apple, cored, peeled, and cut into 1/2 - 3/4" cubes
- 1 red apple cored, peeled, and cut into 1/2 - 3/4" cubes
- 2 cups fresh/frozen berries
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 1/2 cup rolled oats
- 2 cups plain flour
- 1 cup light brown sugar
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp double acting baking powder
- 225g butter, melted
- Line & grease a shallow 9x13" baking tray
- In a large skillet or saucepan, melt the butter for the filling and add in the apples, berries and sugar
- Stir mixture and leave to cook until it has thickened and the liquid is syrupy
- Set aside to cool completely while you prepare the crust
- Place oats, flour, sugar, cinnamon, baking powder, and butter in a mixing bowl and toss to combine
- Spoon half the oat mixture into the baking tray and pat down evenly with a plastic spatula/spoon
- Top evenly with the fruit mixture and cover completely with the remaining oat mixture
- Bake in a 180 degree C pre-heated oven for about 45mins, rotating half way, and remove to cool when top is golden brown and crispy
- Refrigerate before cutting
- Cut to desired portions and store in the fridge until serving