Monday 2 April 2012

Crunch: Carrot Cake

Hello again!

I'm spacing out my posts now because soon enough I'll be cutting down on my baking.
Originally I aimed to produce 2 things from the oven a week. Alas, it is putting a strain on my pocket, waist line, and seems to be too much on top of my other commitments.
Maybe I'll venture in posting about food/baking related topics instead of purely my baking adventures. I did promise you a post on the varieties of flours available; and I will deliver.
I'm a softie for weddings. I get hooked on Wedding Gawker and am constantly envious of those that have the opportunity to produce wedding cakes. It was from this wedding cake website that I found the recipe.
I hardly tweaked it and thus made way too many carrot cupcakes; 36 in total! :/ My attempt at icing failed again and I am bent on the idea that I really must attend classes in order to make icing. Sigh. What a failure.
Anyway, enough rambling. Here's the really delicious recipe:

INGREDIENTS
  • 3 cups of plain flour
  • 3/4 cup of granulated sugar
  • 3/4 cup of brown sugar
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 1 tbs double acting baking powder
  • 1 tbs cinnamon
  • 1 1/2 cups of vegetable oil
  • 1 tbsp golden syrup (optional)
  • 4 medium sized eggs
  • 1 tbsp vanilla extract
  • 1 1/2 cups of chopped walnuts
  • 1 1/2 cups of desiccated coconut
  • 1 1/3 cups of cooked and pureed carrots (about 4 carrots will do)
  • 3/4 cups of crushed and drained fresh pineapple
METHOD
  1. Mix flour, sugar, salt, baking powder and cinnamon in a large bowl
  2. Add the oil, eggs, syrup and vanilla and mix until all incorporated
  3. Fold in the remaining ingredients and mix well
  4. Line cupcake tins with cupcake liners and fill each liner 3/4 full
  5. Bake in a 180 degree C oven for about 15-20 mins or until a skewer inserted comes out clean
  6. Remove cupcakes from tin and leave to cool
  7. Decorate as desired

Love,
Amy.

No comments: