I've learnt to moderate how many projects I take on this Christmas. It's been different. Besides baking, I took on sewing. Christmas presents were crafts that I made and will share on this site in the next few weeks. Things that are so dandy and handy! (:
For today though, I've got the Gingrebread Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting nailed!
I made 2 batches, one for the ward party, and another as gifts to friends and family.
I didn't try the first batch until others had already tucked into it, but my heart soared with each bite! :D Successes are sweet. Haha. Pun unintended.
So here's the slightly tweaked recipe from the Best Bakesale Cookbook.
INGREDIENTS (makes 2 large loaf cakes)
- 2 1/4 cups plain flour
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 1 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp double acting baking powder
- 1 1/2 sticks of butter at room temp.
- 3/4 cup molasses
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 4 eggs
- 3/4 cup buttermilk (homemade: 3/4 cup milk + 3/4 tsp white vinegar; leave to stand for 5 mins)
- Cream Cheese Frosting
- Mix flour, ginger, cinnamon, nutmeg, baking powder in a small bowl
- In a large bowl beat butter, molasses, and sugar until all fluffy
- Add in the eggs one at a time and beat well after each addition
- Mix in 1/3 of the flour mixture, followed by 1/2 of the buttermilk
- Keep alternating wet & dry ingredients until all incorporated
- Grease/line your baking pans
- This cake doesn't rise much so don't be "stingey" with the batter
- Bake the cakes on the middle rack of the oven at 180 degrees C for about 20 minutes or until the tops just start to crack and a skewer inserted comes out clean
- Remove when done and leave to cool completely before icing
My failed attempt of a cocoa star. ):
Meet Mr & Mrs Claus!
A Blessed Christmas,