Sunday 9 December 2012

Personal Preference - Chocolate Chip Cookie Lesson

Hello there!
I don't know about you but I love reading recepies. I love reading about how they work, the science behind it and stuff. And when people explain why things work the way they do, I get ubber excited to try it out myself.
So which website am I talking about for this post? Design Mom. This post to be exact. It's absolutely brilliant how Gabrielle explains the very simple but tricky Chocolate Chip Cookie.
Let's call it the Triple C for short.

So I tried her recipe but tweaked it a tad bit.

I loved her explanation about brown vs white sugar, warming butter, egg warming (though it's been sad many times!), and the silpat vs greaseproof paper explanation.

I bought 2 silpat sheets a few months ago and have loved them since! Saves the environment too!
Personally I'm not a crunchy Triple C kinda girl. I love chewy cookies.
The recipe below produces cakey cookies that are quite airy. I attribute that to the fact that I used the same amount of baking powder she suggested but mine was double acting baking powder. A little mistake. Otherwise I cut down on the sugar but kept the rest the same. I did 3 instead of 2 eggs cos we don't buy large eggs. We buy normal sized eggs. (:

Like Gabrielle said, experiment with the recipe she/I provide and make it the way you want it. More crunchy? Less brown, more white? More chocolate, less chocolate? Sweeter? I have a friend who absolutely loves salty cookies. I'm alright with them. But if that's how you roll, go ahead! Just remember that you can't please everyone with your baking so don't take suggestions like "it's too sweet!" or "too much chocolate" personally. (:

INGREDIENTS (depending on size, this recipe could make 3-4 dozen cookies)

  • 1 cup butter, cut in cubes and left until at room temp
  • 1 cup brown sugar
  • 1/4 cup granulated sugar
  • 3 eggs, at room temp.
  • 1 tbsp vanilla extract
  • 2 3/4 cup plain flour
  • 1 tsp double acting baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
METHOD
  1. Beat butter in mixing bowl with a hand held mixer for about 3-4 minutes until light and creamy
  2. Add in the sugars and beat for a further 4-5 minutes until light and fluffy
  3. Add in the eggs one at a time and beat well until all incorporated
  4. Mix in the vanilla
  5. In a separate bowl mix the flour, baking powder & salt with a whisk
  6. On low speed, add in the flour mixture in 2-3 additions and mix well
  7. Finally add in all the chocolate chips and fold in with a spatula
  8. Pre-heat the oven to 160 degrees C and line the baking trays with greaseproof or silpat sheets
  9. Using a small ice cream scoop or tablespoon, spoon the mixture onto the trays, ensuring ample space between cookies for spreading
  10. Baking in oven for about 15mins until edges begin to brown
  11. Remove from oven and allow to sit for about 2mins before transferring to cooling rack

Much love,
Amy.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Lovely looking cookies!
I used to use 3 normal eggs instead of 2 large eggs but found weighing my eggs...using 160g instead of three whole eggs yield better results.