Night shifts are upon me again. It really throws everything into chaos. There's pretty much nothing you can do except sleep & work. I reach home, absolutely zonked, have a quick shower and collapse into bed. Instinctively my hand reaches out to turn off the light, only to realise that the only light "on" is daylight. grrrr.
I've got a new recipe which, in all honesty, is an old recipe tweaked and with different ingredients.
I mentioned in a previous post that the apple-cranberry bars could be filled with pear & raisins which would be a whole lot cheaper here.
INGREDIENTS (makes approx. 18 bars depending on size)
- rolled oats
- plain flour
- light brown sugar
- double acting baking powder
- butter, melted
- Line & grease a shallow 9x13" baking tray
- In a large skillet or saucepan, melt the butter for the filling and add in the pears, raisins, and sugar
- Stir mixture and leave to cook until it has thickened and the liquid is syrupy
- Set aside to cool completely while you prepare the crust
- Place oats, flour, sugar, cinnamon, baking powder, and butter in a mixing bowl and toss to combine
- Spoon half the oat mixture into the baking tray and pat down evenly with a plastic spatula/spoon
- Top evenly with the fruit mixture and cover completely with the remaining oat mixture
- Bake in a 180 degree C pre-heated oven for about 45mins, rotating half way, and remove to cool when top is golden brown and crispy
- Refrigerate before cutting
- Cut to desired portions and store in the fridge until serving