Sometimes, the simplest recipes are the most comforting. At least that's the case with Victoria Sandwiches. For those who don't know, Victoria Sandwiches (VS) are 2 simple buttery sponges sandwiched together with strawberry jam and covered with icing sugar.For the longest time, I've wanted to try making a VS with whipped cream in the center too. And then I thought of the idea of a mini VS! I dreamt of and pictured them delicately placed on doilies and served at a tea party or maybe a dessert buffet.
Last night, I set my heart it to (and used up the left over cream in the fridge) and made the little sweeties. (:
Do forgive my really poor photography. I'd much rather have taken the photos in daylight and but the sun just wouldn't show at 9pm. ho-hum.
- 4oz caster sugar
- 4oz self-raising flour
- 2 eggs
- 100g butter/margarine
- Strawberry jam to spread
- Full cream to sandwich
- Icing sugar to sprinkle
- Strawberries to top
- Cream butter and sugar together until fluffy.
- Add eggs to mixture and beat until well incorporated.
- Add 1/2 of the flour in and mix well before folding in the rest of the flour.
- Grease 24 cupcake holders and heat oven to 170 degrees C.
- Equally divide mixture between all 24 cups and bake until a skewer inserted comes out clean.
- Leave cakes to cool for about 5 minutes before removing from cups.
- Whip cream til stiff and spread-able.
- Chill whipped cream for about 30 minutes.
- Wash and cut strawberries in half.
- Dry the strawberries by placing the cut halves on kitchen towels. This will prevent them from staining your icing sugar later on.
- Spread jam on all the bottom sides of the cakes.
- Spoon about a teaspoon of whipped cream onto 1/2 the number of cakes.
- Place the cakes without whipped cream jam-face down on the cream creating a sandwich.
- Firmly press down on the top cake until the cream has spread out evenly.
- Sieve icing sugar on the tops of all cakes and top with the strawberries.
- Chill and serve within 4 hours.
ps. if you plan to serve them the next day or much later, then save steps 15 & 16 til just before you serve.