Friday 23 March 2012

Raspberry Bars

Hello! Sorry it's been a while. Been, erm, exercising? And baking. Fret not.
I'm having trouble using opened ingredients in the kitchen cupboards. What happens is that I see a new recipe and decide to try it. Many times it requires new ingredients I've never used. And, quite unfortunately, I usually buy more than I actually need.
Right now I'm still stuck with more polenta, yellow cornmeal, semolina, and glutinous rice.
In this recipe I used leftover frozen raspberries from Adora's birthday cake.
It was more cakey than I remember the first time I made it with cranberries but it worked out. (: I reduced the sugar so the cake was kinda mild/bland but when you bit into the raspberries, there was this sudden burst of fruit which I enjoyed terribly! :D

INGREDIENTS
  • 1/4 cup vegetable/canola/sunflower oil
  • 2 tbsp butter, softened
  • 3/4 cup sugar
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1 1/2 cups plain flour
  • 1/4 tsp double acting baking powder
  • 1 - 1 1/2 cups frozen raspberries (do not thaw)
  • Granulated/coarse sugar for sprinkling
METHOD
  1. Cream butter, oil and sugar together
  2. Beat in eggs and vanilla
  3. Sift in the flour and baking powder and stir until well mixed
  4. Grease/line a 9x13" shallow pan and fill evenly with 2/3 of the cake mix
  5. Using your hands, crush and drop the frozen raspberries over the cake mix
  6. Drop remaining dough in teaspoonsful over the raspberries; the batter will spread in the oven
  7. Sprinkle with sugar
  8. Bake in pre-heated oven of 180 degrees C until golden and springy to touch
  9. Leave to cool before cutting and serving

Enjoy!

Amy.

No comments: