Tuesday 15 October 2013

Back with... er... Apple Tart?

Hello!!
I'm back and I apologise for taking so long to get here.
The break in the UK was amazing. It's a wonder what a break away from home can do for some of us. (: Not that I don't love home, it's just nice to get away for a while.
Time was spent at Granny's & travelling with my twin, Rebecca who I hadn't seen in a year!
Food was amazing & I'll share some photos here.
I did bake in the UK. Just twice though. My experiment there was a Banana Caramel Cake. The cake needs a little tweaking. The caramel, on the other hand, was divine! So I'll have to make the cake again and post a better recipe for everyone. (:

For now, I'll share a recipe of a simple Apple Tart I made for a gathering upon our return.
I got this recipe from The Pioneer Woman. I can promise you that she is the best. If I could be her here in Singapore, I'd be so happy, I'd float away. Sigh. She's just amazing.
So I had some left over puff pastry in the freezer that was crying out for drying up. I was pretty scared that it was too dry & flaky that it wouldn't bake well. Besides being slightly harder to work with, the pastry was just fine and the oven was able to get to work on the puffy goodness.
This recipe is as easy as it gets. No hassle, and so very easy to put together. And a bonus? If done right, it looks a tad bit fancy.

INGREDIENTS (serves approx. 20 depending on portion sizes)

  • 2 whole sheets of puff pastry cut into halves
  • 4 medium sized apples, cored, sliced thinly, & not peeled
  • 3/4 cup brown sugar
  • 1/4 tsp salt
METHOD
  1. Mix sugar & salt in a large bowl & set aside
  2. Core & slice apples and place in bowl
  3. Toss the apples in the sugar ensuring it coats evenly
  4. Set aside & let rest
  5. Cut pastry sheets & lay on trays lined with parchment paper or silpats
  6. Pre-heat oven to 160 degrees C.
  7. Using your hands, lay the slices of apple along the pastry overlapping as you go, leaving an inch thick border
  8. Using a pastry brush, coat the whole uncooked pie
  9. Bake in preheated oven for about 16-18mins or until golden brown
  10. Remove and leave to cool on a rack
  11. Serve with ice cream or whipped cream
  12. Store in an airtight container in the fridge if not to be consumed within the next 6 hours



 A wee bit of England & Scotland..
Desserts galore at Borough Market
Who would have thought there were so many variations of pork pies!

The beauty of Scotland



Haggis, Tatties & Neeps...Yum!

Salted Caramel Apple Pie

A scrumptious dinner at a B&B

Eating local produce always seems to taste better.

And walks in English countryside
 The full album of England & Scotland.

Yay!

Amy.

No comments: