I'm finally here. Do excuse the short post; I write this as she plays shopkeeper with me where I am the shopkeeper that keeps giving her "dollars" back to her once she's had her tea & cake and asks me in a squeaky voice if Bun the bunny can come to the shop. :)
Her imagination is through the roof that I can hardly keep up! It's the daily interactions the kids have with everyone else that they seem to play out with their toys in surprising likeness!
On the side I've been able to bake a bit here and there and I succeeded in a wonderful Banana Walnut Cake with Brown Butter Icing.
The cake was very moist thanks to the buttermilk and the brown butter icing was deliciously rich! Such a treat! The cake kept well in a box in the fridge for about 3 days.
So here is the recipe adapted from Home On The Range.
INGREDIENTS (Yields 12-16 servings)
- 1/3 cup (80g) margarine
- 1 cups soft brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1-1/4 cups mashed ripe bananas (about 3 medium)
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoons double acting baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 3/4 cup chopped walnuts (optional)
- Cream the margarine and sugar until light and fluffy
- Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition
- Beat in vanilla
- Add bananas and mix well
- Combine the flour, baking powder, baking powder and salt; add to the creamed mixture alternately with buttermilk, stirring just until combined
- Stir in walnuts
- Pour into a greased and floured bundt pan
- Bake at 180° for 50-55 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean
- Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack to cool completely
- Dust with confectioners' sugar or glaze
BROWN BUTTER GLAZE
- 4tbsp butter
- 2 cups powdered sugar, sifted
- 1 teaspoons vanilla
- 3 tablespoons milk