I would have piped the biscuits out though to ensure absolutely round biscuits.
At this point I decided to make my own piping bag for the icing. Making it wasn't a problem. Using it was an entirely different challenge.
Evidently I filled it too much and couldn't seal the bag properly. Then I squeezed like mad which made the hole at the tip grow larger with each squeeze. Ho-hum. We live and learn.
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, room temp
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 egg, room temp
- 1 1/2 Tbsp lemon juice
- 1 1/2 Tbsp lemon zest (I used the zest from the whole lemon)
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- /4 tsp salt
- 1 1/4 c (156 g) flour
- Preheat oven to 175 degrees C and line baking trays with parchment paper
- Cream butter and sugar together in a large bowl
- In a small bowl whisk the salt, flour and baking powder
- Add the egg, juice and zest to the butter mixture and ensure it is all mixed in
- Add the flour mixture and mix until well combined
- If you're not too particular about shape, then dollop a teaspoonful cookie mixture into a lined cookie tray leaving space for spreading
- Bake for about 10-12 mins or until the edges turn golden
- Remove immediately and leave to cool on wire rack
- In a small bowl, mix about 3/4 cup of icing sugar with just enough lemon juice to make the icing pipe-able
- When the biscuits have cooled, fill your piping bag with icing and ice biscuits as desired
- Leave icing to set before stacking